|“||Oh, how I weary of this! Again and again the same play. I win. Iron Man wins. I win again. Enough I say! It matters no longer who is in the armor. Death is death. And mark my words, lackey.... Iron Man shall die this day!||„|
|~ The Mandarin|
The Mandarin is a supervillain from Marvel Comics. He is the archnemesis of Iron Man, and one of his greatest adversaries to date.
The Mandarin is the child of British and Mongolian aristocrats, both of whom died shortly after he was born. He was raised by his aunt, who was very bitter about not being the inheritor of the family fortune, and so decided to raise him wrong. Every bit of the family fortune was spent training him into a sort of evil super-soldier, with a focus on science, combat, and cunning. Once every bit of gold he had inherited was spent on his training, the Mandarin was too broke to pay his property taxes. The government evicted him for his failure to pay his taxes. Now homeless, he began a life of exploring. In the course of his wandering, the Mandarin stumbled upon an extremely valuable resource: an alien ship filled with advanced technology, including the 10 Makluan Power Rings that would eventually become his iconic weapons in combat. The Mandarin used this superior technology to enslave the native villagers who lived near alien ship he had discovered. He then began a long quest to show his power to the world by taking it as his own. In his quest for world domination, the Mandarin met and frequently faced off with Iron Man, who would become his greatest enemy for the rest of his life.
Powers & Abilities
- Chi Manipulation: The Mandarin possesses superhuman physical powers. The Mandarin can survive for years without food and water by living on stored Chi.
- Superhuman Longevity: The Mandarin can survive for years without the need of food or water by living on nothing but chi he has stored in his body.
- Superhuman Strength: Whenever raw physical force is required, the Mandarin can enhance the strength of his attacks far beyond normal human limitation. The Mandarin is strong enough to damage Iron Man's armor, a feat which even Thor can have difficulty achieving, and match the Iron Man armor in raw strength.
- Superhuman Speed: The Mandarin can channel his chi to enhance his speed in combat. He can become fast enough to slap bullets out of the air.
- Martial Arts: The Mandarin is a superb athlete with tremendous skill in the various martial arts.
- Super-Genius Intelligence: The Mandarin is one of the world's greatest scientific geniuses. Not only has he made himself into an authority on Makluan science, but he has also built upon this knowledge by making further discoveries based upon it.
- Historian: The Mandarin is extremely knowledgeable on ancient history, specifically that of Asia and China.
- Multilingual: The Mandarin is fluent in various languages most notably English and his native Mandarin Chinese.
- Makluan Power Rings: The Mandarin's signature 10 rings, each one is an ancient alien artifact that houses the soul of cosmic warriors. He can tap into the Power Rings to use their various, deadly abilities.
- Teleportation: The Mandarin can teleport with any and all of the rings.
- EMP Immunity: All of the rings are immune to electromagnetic pulses.
- Force Field Projection: Each ring can generate a force field to protect the Mandarin.
- Matter-Rearranger Ring/Remaker: (worn in the right thumb) This Ring allows the Mandarin to manipulate the atomic and molecular structures of matter. However, it cannot transmute elements or affect objects encased in force or energy fields.
- Poison Gas: The Mandarin may transform the surrounding air into a Toxic gas.
- Solidify Gas: The Mandarin may solidify the air around opponents, encasing them in blocks of cement-like material.
- Rearrange costume and/or alter appearance.
- Impact Beam Ring/Influence: (worn in the right index finger) This Ring allows the Mandarin to generate and project various beams of concussive force.
- Force Blast (Electron Beam, Neutron Beam): The Mandarin may project blasts of concussive energy.
- Sonic Beam: The Mandarin may project waves of high-intensity sound.
- Vortex Beam Ring/Spin: (worn in the right middle finger) The ring causes the air to move about at high speed in a vortex. The vortex can be used as an offensive weapon, as a means of levitating objects, or as a means of propelling the ring's wearer through the air.
- Wind Manipulation: The Mandarin can use the ring to generate and manipulate intense rings to blow foes away. The winds can rival the power of a hurricane.
- Time Distortion: The Mandarin can achieve a form of super speed by accelerating his own time. With this power, the Mandarin's perception of time is slowed down 100,000x, and a normal human's speed is said to even rival that of Quicksilver's, who can easily move at hypersonic speeds. Since the Mandarin is already enhanced by chi, he can push himself even faster than other users of Spin.
- Disintegration Beam Ring/Spectral: (worn in the right ring finger) This ring allows the Mandarin to project a beam of energy capable of destroying the bonds between the atoms and molecules, causing inanimate objects to disintegrate. This ring must recharge for 20 minutes after each use.
- Black Light Ring/Nightbringer: (worn in the right little finger) This Ring allows the Mandarin to create an area of darkness, presumably using Darkforce energy to do so.
- White Light Ring/Daimonic: (worn in the left thumb) This ring allows the Mandarin to generate and manipulate various forms of electromagnetic energy.
- Light Burst: The Mandarin may generate bursts of high intensity light to blind opponents.
- Gravity Field: The Mandarin may encase opponents in a field of heavy gravity, pinning them to the surfaces.
- Magnetic Levitation: The Mandarin may utilize electromagnetic fields to levitate and manipulate objects.
- Image Projection: The Mandarin may project holographic illusions. He can also produce multiple images to confuse an opponent, or make a substantially larger version of himself.
- Flame-Blast Ring/Incandescence: (worn in the left index finger) This ring allows the Mandarin to project blasts of infrared to produce flame or ignite combustible materials.
- Mento-Intensifier Ring/The Liar: (worn in the left ring finger) This ring magnifies the Mandarin’s psionic energies, allowing him to mentally manipulate the thoughts and actions of others.
- Mental Illusions: The Mandarin may psionically generate illusions within the minds of others. These illusions are very realistic and are capable of affecting all of the senses (vision, hearing, taste, touch and smell).
- Mental Paralysis: The Mandarin may psionically manipulate the minds of others, temporarily paralyzing them.
- Electro-Blast Ring/Lightning: (worn in the left middle finger) This ring allows the Mandarin to project blasts of Electrical Energy.
- Ice Blast Ring/Zero: (worn in the left little finger) This ring allows the Mandarin to project waves of up intense cold and ice, including trapping foes in ice blocks and sheaths.
- Dragon of Heaven: This half mile long, flying mechanical dragon was a flying fortress brimming with energy weapons and missiles (external and internal), traps, and a nearly impervious self-repairing hull. It was taken down by Iron Man.
- Mandarin's Space Station: This huge space station was equipped with a weapon that transmitted "hate-rays" to the Earth, turning man against man in a global conflict. It was destroyed by the Avengers.
- Interceptor Ray: This ray could supposedly catch anything that moves, regardless of speed, and return it to the Mandarin's Castle within the hour. This device was used by the Mandarin to interfere with the US Military's use of Stark Industries new Observer Missiles in Vietnam. The Ray was destroyed by Iron Man.
- Killer Satellite: This orbiting satellite could project powerful blasts of laser energy against targets on the Earth's surface. It was used to attempt to destroy Tony Stark's private estate.
- Jet Car: This sleek hover vehicle was utilized by the Mandarin.
- Can easily break through metal and stone with karate chops.
- Regularly matches Iron Man, who can lift 100 tons, in strength.
- Broke Tony's arm through the Silver Centurion suit.
- Punched hard enough to break Iron Man's chestplate.
- One-shot Iron Man with Influence.
- Knocked back War Machine through several mountains, triggering seismographs from over 7,000 miles away, with Influence.
- Can create hurricanes with Spin.
- Can immobilize Iron Man, who can fly at hypersonic speeds and lift 100 tons, with Nightbringer's tendrils.
- One-shot Iron Man's suit and deactivated it with Lightning.
- Can dodge Iron Man's repulsor blasts without the use of Spin.
- Keeps up with Iron Man, who can easily move at hypersonic speeds, on a regular basis.
- Traveled 278 meters in an instant.
- Moved fast enough to blitz and injure Malekith with multiple punches.
- With Spin, can barrage Iron Man with a flurry of punches faster than he can react.
- Tanked a repulsor blast to the face without serious injury.
- Can survive several blows from Silver Centurion Iron Man.
- Tanked a building-sized explosion unscathed.
- Combines the powers of his rings with his martial arts to create a deadly and unique fighting style.
- Reverse engineered the technology that powers the Makluan Power Rings.
- Hacked Tony's cybernetically enhanced mind to control his body.
- Successfully controls over 700 companies at once.
- Has invented various gadgets to help him fight Iron Man.
- Anger Issues: The Mandarin is easily enraged, causing him to sometimes act with impulsive violence despite his great intellect.
- Humanity: Despite his great power and impressive physical abilities, the Mandarin is still only human, and can be harmed or killed just as easily as a normal person.
- Ring Dependence: The vast majority of the Mandarin's power in battle comes from his rings, and without them he is drastically weakened.
- The Mandarin does not need to use his fingers to use the rings. In fact, he was once an old man who had the rings lodged along his spine.