|“||“I’m willing to see our transaction through, are you sir? I’m fighting to protect my family from those that wish it harm, I doubt very much that your resolve is equal to mine.”||„|
|~ Jonathan Joestar|
|Series||JoJo's Bizarre Adventure|
|Birthday||April 4th, 1868|
|Height||195 cm (6'5")|
|Weight||105 kg (231 lbs.)|
Jonathan Joestar is the protagonist of the first part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. He is the son of George Joestar I and the grandfather of Joseph Joestar.
As an infant, his mother died in a carriage accident. That same accident indirectly brought Dio Brando into his life, because Dio's father unwittingly saved Jonathan's father while preparing to steal from the wrecked carriage. Twelve years later, Dario apparently died of illness and Dio went to the Joestars. Despite Jonathan trying to be friends with Dio, the latter would become his nemesis both as a childhood rival and as an undead enemy. At the young age of 12, when Dio came into his life, Jonathan met and fell in love with Erina Pendleton, but Dio shattered the relationship for a considerable amount of time through his evil ways, by kissing Erina and boasting about it. Learning of this Jonathan came home to confront Dio. Jonathan beats Dio in a fistfight, but a humiliated Dio decides to take revenge by killing his dog, Danny, Jonathan's only remaining companion and true friend.
Nonetheless, Jonathan is able to maintain his sanity and continues his studies in archaeology. Among his interests is research on a Mesoamerican stone mask that is part of the estate. Curiously, the mask sprouts spikes that pierce the wearer's skull and spray a black, foul-smelling liquid if human blood touches it. Finally, after eight years, Jonathan takes a stand against Dio when he discovers that Dio poisoned his own father with a substance that imitated illness, and intends to poison George in the same way to take over the family fortune. Jonathan then travels to Ogre Street in order to find an antidote, which he locates thanks to the help of his new comrade Robert E.O. Speedwagon. In a fateful encounter, Dio stabs George while wearing the mask (having learned that the mask was not a killing device, but a means to let the wearer transcend humanity, mortality and anything resembling moral restraint to become a mighty vampire).
After a battle in which the Joestar Mansion is burned down, Jonathan suffers horrible burns and is taken to the hospital, whereas Dio is able to escape unseen but also badly wounded. Robert E. O. Speedwagon finds out that the nurse taking care of Jonathan is actually Erina, who had gone to India after Dio disgraced her and ruined her relationship with Jonathan. However, Dio had apparently not extinguished her feelings for Jonathan. Shortly after being discharged from the hospital, Jonathan meets William Anthonio Zeppeli, who informs him of Dio's survival and begins to teach him the way of Hamon in order to defeat Dio.
Powers & Abilities
- Hamon: An ancient way of martial arts based on self-controlled respiration. Hamon is based on using the energy of the sun's rays through breathing and empowering the body with "ripples" of solar energy. While it can be used to destroy vampires and zombies, it can also affect non-living things. An object, while charged with Hamon energy, will become more dangerous, and its user can perform several techniques that can combine with the warrior's own tactics, to allow for a very flexible fighting style. It can be used to deliver extremely powerful 'Overdrives' and other techniques.
- Zoom Punch: Jonathan dislocates and launches his fist forward and strikes his opponent. The attack involves a Hamon breathing technique that dislocates and stretches the joints to extend the arm and give it greater reach while also using the same ripple to dull the ache caused by the move.
- Sendo Hamon Overdrive: Jonathan charges a Hamon wave through his arm and releases it into a solid object, such as a wall or partition. The ripple can travel through and reach anything on the other side, and anything hit by the ripple is sent flying in a spiral. If the enemy is an Undead, the ripple will enter their bloodstream and destroy them from the inside.
- Scarlet Overdrive: Charging Hamon into one hand, Jonathan can create a ripple of flame. He is able to transfer over this flame to another part of his body, and anything that touches that body part has a high chance of catching fire.
- Turquoise Blue Overdrive: Appropriately the strongest place to use the ripple, Jonathan can release high powered tempests while underwater with enough force to blast enemies away.
- Overdrive Barrage: When Jonathan jabs fast enough consecutively, he can release multiple Overdrives at once.
- Metal Silver Overdrive: Essentially the same as a Sendo Hamon Overdrive, but with the ability of transferring through metal. Often used in combination with Luck & Pluck.
- Life Magnetism Overdrive: With the aid of Zeppeli, Jonathan can draw all the leaves in the immediate area and magnetize them together to form one giant leaf, which was used as an impromptu-hang glider. This move can be applied to most plants, and has the ability to revive them passively as well - as when Jonathan touched a dead tree branch with his newly Hamon-healed arm and restored its wilted flowers.
- Sunlight Yellow Overdrive: It is a devastating and extremely rapid flurry of Hamon-infused punches with power comparable to the sun itself and has the ability to completely obliterate the Undead.
- Healing: Thanks to Hamon, Jonathan can heal minor wounds.
- Luck & Pluck: A sword given to him by Black Knight Bruford after his defeat at the hands of Jonathan. He often uses it as a way to channel Hamon through his enemies without the need of touching them.
- Knocked out two thugs with a mere punch simultaneously.
- Powered through the combined power of four rugby players tackling him.
- Beat Speedwagon in one kick. (Note: JoJo was actually holding back.)
- Damaged Bruford while underwater.
- Held Erina up even with a broken arm.
- Could even lift this rock! (11.3 microtons of TNT)
- Overpowered Tarkus, who can casually shatter cliffs.
- Split Tarkus' arm with just two fingers.
- Sliced Dio in half.
- Picked up and pushed Dio through a railing.
- Decapitated a zombie with a spear.
- Tackled Dio through a brick wall.
- Tackled Dio hard enough to break through the floor.
- Spun himself up even with 5 - 6 broken ribs.
- Using Hamon, punched a hole clean through Dio.
- Stabbed a spearhead into a stone wall to stop himself from falling.
- Shattered a zombie's head.
- Kicked a zombie’s head clean off.
- Went toe to toe against Tarkus, who was capable of lifting and crushing a massive boulder with just one finger and is strong enough to split hills (Building-City Block level).
- Can send people flying with a hit
- Threw an anvil.
- Ripped apart a metal collar that even Tarkus couldn’t break.
- Slammed Tarkus into the roof using a chain pulley.
- Took off Dio’s arm and cut him in half with Luck & Pluck.
- Should be much stronger than weaker vampires who can bring down entire walls with a punch, even with a broken hand.
- Defeated Jack the Ripper, who is strong enough to toss a cartwagon to bring down a tunnel like it was nothing (0.28 - 0.903 tons of TNT)
- Due to DIO using Jonathan’s body in Part 3 (which had gotten weaker), Jonathan should scale to the stats of stands DIO (without THE WORLD) scaled to.
- Stronger than Will Zeppeli, who in the 2007 Phantom Blood movie created a Hamon shockwave which parted the clouds from just a handshake with his master (202.5 kilotons of TNT)
- Blocked hits from Dio Brando.
- Dodged sword swipes from Bruford, who can move faster than the eye can track.
- Reacted to a sword swipe by Bruford and completely blocked it with a kick.
- Attacked Dire before he could perform his Thunder Cross Split Attack.
- Caught Dio off-guard.
- Can catch a knife with his bare hands.
- Launched a knife with a kick.
- Can punch fast enough to create afterimages.
- Caught and blocked chain attacks from Tarkus.
- Caught venomous snakes from Doobie.
- Reacted to Dio's Space Ripper Stingy Eyes.
- Intercepted an attack from Dio Brando in an attempt to save Will Anthonio Zeppeli (Mach 38).
- Should be comparable to Joseph, who reacted to a ray of light from the Red Stone of Aja, which amplifies sun rays and empowers them. (2.324x the speed of light).
- Fast enough to disappear before Dio monologues and turns his head around.
- Intercepted Dio and Zeppeli before they could notice (Mach 16.8)
- Fast enough to cause afterimages to dodge attacks.
- Can indeed dodge Adam's speed.
- Outpaced shards from an explosion even when heavily injured.
- Scales to Bruford, who could move behind Jonathan just as he turned.
- Scales to Zeppeli who could move locations faster than the eye could track and dodged fragments that moved as fast as an explosion (Mach 379.5)
- Should scale higher than a less experienced Joseph, who could react to a beam of light from the Red Stone of Aja (2.324c)
- Jonathan’s body in Part 3 is able to consistently move itself to move in tandem with rapid fire Emerald Splashes, as well as, keep up and overwhelm Silver Chariot.
- Shrugged off getting cut in his hands by sharp blades.
- Survived getting impaled by a large spear.
- Kept on fighting with both of his arms broken and his body being set on fire.
- Kept on fighting after his neck was broken.
- His body survived a boat exploding (64 tons of TNT)
- In the events of Eyes of Heaven, he fought against Dio’s zombies for days. While non-canon, it is certainly not impossible.
- Took a punch to the face without flinching.
- Unconcerned by a buzz saw hat cutting into his arms.
- Got a spearhead embedded into his shoulder.
- Got squeezed and drained by hair capable of crushing tree branches.
- Got choked and smashed into a ceiling by a chain.
- Was still alive after getting his neck broken.
- Punched his fist through fire.
- Was still standing and moving despite having holes through his throat and unable to breathe.
- Is able to still grab onto Dio after having his arms and bones broken by him, and on fire.
- Survived getting thrown into a tree.
- Took a kick from Tarkus.
- Endured having parts of his body frozen by Dio.
- Was still able to defeat Wang Chan despite having holes through his throat and unable to breathe.
- Should also likely scale to end of Part 2 Joseph Joestar, who was at the epicenter of a Hamon-amplified volcanic eruption strong enough to launch Kars into space (2.04 tons of TNT)
- Killed a zombified Jack the Ripper through a wall and without spilling a single drop of his wine.
- Defeated the Dark Knight Bruford.
- Defeated Dio multiple times.
- Defeated the undead knight Tarkus.
- Killed numerous other zombie minions.
- Started a new legacy within the Joestar family.
- Won numerous football games.
- Gained an ally in Robert E.O. Speedwagon.
- Defeated Wang Chan and Dobbie
- Was the only person that Dio Brando truly respected and be considered beautiful
- Became a skilled Hamon user in a matter of days
- Saved Erina while aboard an exploding ship
- If his breathing is restricted, he won't be able to perform Hamon techniques.