|“||I doubt I need an introduction, but just in case, I am the mighty Frieza, and yes, all the horrible stories you've heard are true.||„|
|~ — Frieza, in "Namek's Defense"|
Frieza is the main antagonist of the Dragon Ball Z series. With him making his debut in the Namek saga, and making multiple appearances in subsequent story arcs.
Scattered throughout the far reaches of the universe are seven artifacts of great power: the Dragon Balls. While useless by themselves, the individual who can gather all seven of them is visited by the Eternal Dragon, Shenron. Barring a few limitations, he is capable of granting a single wish to the person responsible for uniting them before the Dragon Balls are once again separated. Numerous battles have been fought over the wishes Shenron can grant; those pure of heart seek them for similarly idealistic goals, while those blinded by ambition hope to harness them for the sake of obtaining more power. Such is the case with the galactic conqueror who desires true immortality to ensure his reign of terror will never end: the one and only Frieza.
Born to King Cold - one of the most powerful individuals in their race, and a megalomaniac tyrant himself, Frieza was tasked with succeeding his father in conquering the universe, and he had more than enough qualities of his own to back up his rising reputation. His natural potential for combat made him one of the greatest fighters in existence without having to train, and subjugated the Saiyan race to his rule; while he had annexed a few to fight for his Frieza Force, he went on to nearly render them extinct by destroying their home planet Vegeta in retaliation to a potential uprising from the race of natural-born warriors. In time, Frieza learned of the legends surrounding the Dragon Balls, and yearned to covet the wish they would grant him for his own.
Frieza’s attempts to obtain immortality saw him clash against heroes from Earth that stood in opposition to his evil. Chief among these fighters would be Goku, a Saiyan raised on Earth and the first of their kind in a long time to harness the powers of a Super Saiyan. In a titanic battle on the planet Namek, the self-proclaimed emperor met his match in what would be the first of many encounters the two archenemies would have with each other. Despite numerous setbacks in his attempt to become immortal - including defeats at the hands of more powerful foes and even his own death, Frieza’s cold-blooded tenacity has allowed him to return time and time again until all of creation is subjugated under his will and all his enemies are rendered naught but ashes.
Powers & Abilities
- Frieza's Race Physiology: Not much is known about the origins of Frieza’s race as well as their home planet. However, what is known is that they’re a powerful alien race. Frieza and his father King Cold (and possibly Cooler as well) were born mutants due to an accidental spontaneous mutation that occurred within their family. This caused them to be born with an unusual amount of power and develop their known evil personalities. Despite this, Frieza’s race does possess a few known abilities alongside their power. One of the race’s most known abilities is surviving horrific injuries and still being able to live right after. The best example would be Frieza being still alive after getting sliced in half by one of his Death Saucers during his battle with Goku in the Frieza Saga. After Planet Namek exploded, Frieza (or what remained of him) was shown to still be alive. Further evidence of this racial ability was when Frieza was shown to still be alive after getting sliced in half by Future Trunks. Even after being cut into pieces further, Frieza was still alive (though he did die afterwards when Trunks obliterated pieces of him). After getting revived by the Dragon Balls during the Resurrection F arc in both the move and the anime, Frieza appeared in the mortal realm as pieces rather than whole, and was still shown to be alive. Additionally, Frieza does have some minor healing through transformation. His tail regrew in his fourth form after it was cut off in his second form. The second known ability possessed by Frieza’s race is the ability to “grow” clothing/natural armor known as Bio Suits. Thus, even when it seems as though a member of Frieza's race is unclothed, they are generally wearing Bio Suits. These natural clothes can be removed at will or replaced with newly grown clothing. Lastly, Frieza’s race possesses the ability of transformations. Frieza’s own transformations will be explained further, so to make this brief, every member of Frieza’s race can transform into different states either to suppress their own power and maintain self-control over it (Freiza’s 1st, 2nd, and 3rd forms) or to increase their power and become even stronger (Cooler’s 5th form and Frieza’s Golden form). Additionally, members of Frieza’s race can modify their bodies synthetically. Examples of this shown by Frieza’s Cosmic Suit when he became Mecha-Frieza, Cooler’s remains fusing with the Big Gete Star, and Frost adding poison needles within his wrists and tail.
- Martial Arts Prowess: Frieza is incredibly adept in hand-to-hand combat, being skilled enough to match fighters like Goku and Vegeta, despite them having far more combat training and experience than him
- Tail Attack: A technique Frieza uses in which he uses his tail to attack his opponents, usually whipping or constructing them. Frieza can even extend his tail to a greater length if he wishes
- Ruthless Blow: Frieza charges towards his opponent at high speed, then disappears from his opponent’s line of sight. The opponent suddenly feels a stabbing pain, and discovers to their shock and horror that Frieza has thrusted his hand/palm into their back. Frieza ends the attack by pulling his hand out of the opponent’s back and letting them fall helplessly to the ground
- Frieza Head Smash: A flying headbutt technique Frieza uses
- Death Break: Frieza punches his opponent in the stomach and knocks them away up into the air with two roundhouse kicks. Frieza finishes this move by knocking them down into the ground with a hook kick in their stomach
- Death Raid: Frieza delivers a powerful gut punch to his opponent
- Pressure Point: After his mental training in hell, Frieza learned how to perform pressure point attacks, a type of fighting style in which the user strikes areas of the human body where nerves lie close to the service and are supported by bone or muscle mass. He can even pull a Kenshiro and make his enemies explode.
- Grudgeless Strike: Frieza moves around rapidly before powering up and charges the opponent at full speed to punch them in the face.
- Punishing Rush: Frieza elbows the opponent in the stomach and hits them on their legs with his tail, turning them around. He then double slaps the opponent on their back, knocking them away and teleporting in front to backhand punch them in the face.
- It’s Just Getting Exciting!: Frieza knees the opponent in their stomach and kicks them up into the air. Then, he appears above the opponent to fly down and punch them down into the ground
- 50% Power: Frieza elbows the opponent in their face, teleports behind the opponent and knocks them up off the ground with a low roundhouse kick. Next, he catches the opponent by their neck with his tail and brings them closer to elbow them in the ribs. He finishes the technique by throwing his opponent away with his tail
- You Thought That Was It?: Frieza dashes across the opponent with a punch to their face and flies back and elbows them in the face. He finishes off by punching them down to the ground
- Punishing Counter: When an opponent attempts to attack, Frieza turns around and back kicks them in the face. He then moves behind the opponent and blasts them away with a Death Cannon, inflicting a high amount of damage.
- Sonic Warp: Frieza uses a form of rapid movement that moves so fast it looks like he’s teleporting
- Ki-Based Techniques: Ki, also known as “latent energy” or “Fighting Power” is the life force energy used by many Dragon Ball characters. Ki is a tangible energy inside every living being, by drawing it out, a skilled individual is able to control it and use it for many different techniques or also use it to increase their strength and durability.
- Ki Sense: Like many characters in Dragon Ball, Frieza is able to sense Ki. Ki Sensing is the ability to sense the location, life force, and power level of anyone. Though some Ki users have also learned to hide their power level to not get sensed by others. After his 4 months of training, he even gained the ability to sense Godly Ki, which cannot be sensed by most fighters
- Ki Blast: Basic energy blasts Frieza can fire
- Flight: By manipulating his Ki, Frieza gains the ability to fly.
- Death Beam: Frieza’s signature attack, where he fires a small, but incredibly powerful laser-like attack. He has multiple variations of this move, such as a rapid-fire version and even a version that locks down and chase targets
- Eye Laser: Frieza can shoot laser-like beams from both eyes. The potency of the Eye Laser technique varies, but most of them are very fast and able to nullify weak attacks and small projectiles as well as cripple opponents and damage other objects.
- Death Ball: Frieza’s most powerful technique, where he concentrates his Ki to make a massive ball of energy powerful enough to destroy planets
- Death Wave: To use this technique, Frieza puts his middle and index fingers together and charges an energy sphere on the tips. He then swings the energy sphere around, creating a large Death Beam in the form of a giant, razor-sharp energy blade that can slice through anything.
- Death Comet: Frieza fires several energy waves coming out of the aura around his body.
- Whirlwind Blow: By lightly blowing, Frieza produces strong winds that formed a tornado. Then, the tornado lifts the opponent into the air and throws them a great distance away.
- Death Storm: A massive explosion that surrounds Frieza, which has an island sized area of effect, making it difficult to dodge it
- Death Fork: In his second form, Frieza charges at the opponent to impale them in the chest with one of his horns. Next, he shifts his head up and down, further injuring the opponent and causing more blood to leak out of them. Finally, Frieza throws the opponent off his horn down to the ground
- Nova Strike: Frieza surrounds himself in a sphere of energy and rams himself into his enemy. This attack is powerful enough to push back Goku’s Kamehameha, even in Super Saiyan
- Psycho Barrier: Frieza can use his Ki to create an energy barrier to protect himself from any incoming attacks
- Death Saucer: Totally didn’t steal this from Krillin. Jokes aside, Death Saucer is just as deadly as the move it’s based on. Not only are they powerful, but once Frieza concentrates on his enemy, the attack chases them down relentlessly. However, if Freeza ever loses concentration on them, the attacks can wind up anywhere, and can sometimes harm the user. Frieza learned that the hard way.
- Death Cannon: A blast of energy Frieza charges and fires at his opponent, creating a massive explosion
- Telekinesis: Frieza can manipulate his Ki to use telekinetic attacks. This allows him to trap his foes in a ball of energy (including powerful enough characters like Toppo) and play soccer with them, lift and throw massive mountains, or detonate an opponent's Ki
- Earth Breaker: Frieza’s last ditch effort move. By pressing his palm to the surface of the planet and detonating it with his Ki, Frieza destroys the planet he is currently on.
- Hover Pod: Frieza’s hover pod is a floating, egg-shaped vehicle that he uses as a means of transportation. Even though he is extraordinarily powerful and perfectly capable of walking and flying, Frieza (in his first form) seems to prefer using the hover pod as a means of getting around, even inside his own spaceship. While the true reason for him using the hover pod is unknown, it’s quite possible that he sees it as a status symbol.
- Power Scouter: Before the Frieza Saga, Frieza was unable to detect ki. As a result, he and the rest of his soldiers had to rely on the use of scouters as a way to calculate the individual power level or ki concentration of their opponents by converting the readings into numbers. Further, it can also tell a person’s location. Therefore, it allows Frieze to detect hidden opponents or alert him of any incoming threats. Additionally, scouters also serve the purpose of gathering information, interstellar communication, keep track of time, and provide precise aiming. However, scouters possess numerous disadvantages and limitations. For one thing, they can’t automatically calculate a person’s true power level. They can only calculate the power level a person is currently at. A person trained in ki control can lower their power level on purpose, fooling scouter users into thinking they have a lower power level than their real level. Another disadvantage is that scouters may explode on certain conditions. Such conditions are the scouter overloading whenever it detects a high power level or when a power level is rapidly increasing. In fact, a highly trained individual can raise their power level so fast and instantaneously that even newly improved scouters couldn’t register the sudden and momentary increase. Furthermore, scouters have a maximum limit at high of a power level they can measure before giving blank readings. Finally, a scouter’s last disadvantage is that it can’t detect God ki. This is possibly due to the divine nature of God ki or simply because Scouters are only designed to detect normal ki.
While it may look like he just took a Super Mushroom, Frieza’s second form shouldn’t be underestimated. His power and speed increase to a monstrous degree, and his horns can be used for impalement.
Despite being a clone of a Xenomorph, Frieza’s third form increases his physicality to higher levels.
Frieza’s original and final form may not look like much at first glance, but he has immense power and speed in this form. He can easily match and surpass incredibly tough fighters such as Goku and Vegeta, even when they obtain the power of gods.
100% Full Power
Frieza’s full power is an absolute monster to face. Not only does his strength skyrocket even further, but his speed increases as well despite gaining bulky muscles. However, this form has a drawback: due to having not mastered his full power, his strength and stamina decrease the longer it’s used, though he seems to have overcome this flaw after his 4 months of training, with no veins popping out and his muscles being more controlled.
Frieza’s golden form is the ultimate evolution of his race. After getting revived by his soldiers in Resurrection F, the emperor decided he should train for the first time in his life after being told Goku had gotten stronger since their last battle. After four months of training, Frieza obtained his Golden Form and chose the color to mock Goku’s Super Saiyan form. This transformation allows Frieza to be on par with Goku in his Super Saiyan Blue form. However, during his rematch with Goku, it was revealed that due to not fully mastering his newfound power, his stamina and power decrease the longer he’s in it, which led to his downfall once again. However, this flaw seems to have been resolved after his mental training in Hell, where he not only grew stronger, but is now able to maintain his Golden Form for much longer periods of time.
- (First Form) Destroyed the entire planet Vegeta.
- Far superior to Nappa, who destroyed East City (Small Country level)
- Much stronger than Piccolo, who destroyed the moon (Planet level)
- Should be superior to Saiyan Saga Vegeta, who was going to destroy Earth
- In his 2nd form, casually destroyed an entire island, creating tsunami’s and an explosion seen from space
- Destroyed an island with a basic Death Beam
- Deflected Vegeta’s Final Burst Cannon with a kick, with the explosion of said attack being many times greater than Planet Namek itself
- Fought roughly on par with Goku, and overwhelmed him even with Kaioken x10
- Destroyed Planet Namek
- After his 4 month training, destroyed North City with Death Beam
- Nearly killed Gohan, both in Super and in Resurrection F
- Simply transforming into his final form changed the clouds
- In his Golden form, was stronger than Super Saiyan Blue Goku (It’s implied that if he fought seriously, he would’ve killed Goku in an instant)
- Destroyed Earth even while heavily injured
- Powerful enough to resist and manipulate Sidra’s hakai
- After his mental training in hell, he stalemated Super Saiyan Blue Goku after his mental training. Goku got much more powerful after their fight, and Frieza managed to knock him out of Blue
- Easily defeated Cabba
- Seriously injured Toppo
- Managed to keep up with Jiren, though the latter was exhausted and weakened
- A mini ki blast of his split a massive group of clouds
- In the Dragon Ball Super Broly light novel, it’s stated that his punches were capable of staggering Super Saiyan Broly
- Should be far superior to Battle of Gods Goku, who, in his clash with Beerus, was threatening to destroy all of Universe 7. Universe 7 is confirmed to be a macrocosm, which means it contains multiple universes.
- Capable of moving so fast, not even King Kai can track his movements. King Kai is capable of tracking down Attack Balls, which travel faster than light
- Much faster than characters who can dodge Piccolo’s Ki blasts, which can reach the moon in seconds
- Dodged a Destructo Disk, though was still grazed
- Casually dodged attacks from Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo at the same time, and even from Vegeta
- At 50% power, was capable of blitzing Kaioken x10 Goku
- Could keep up with Super Saiyan Goku
- Moved faster than Gohan could react
- Kept up with Goku, even after he attained godly ki
- Should be superior to Battle of Gods Goku, who kept up with Beerus, who is capable of universe crossing (375 quadrillion times the speed of light)
- Can be compared to the shockwaves caused by Goku and Beerus, which traveled from Earth to the Kai Realm in seconds in the anime, and possibly in an even shorter timeframe in the manga
- Dodged attacks from Super Saiyan Blue Goku
- Quick enough to intercept and react to Instant Transmission
- Casually blocked all of Cabba’s attacks
- Kept up with Dyspo, who can dodge an attack from Super Saiyan Blue Goku
- Blitzed Dyspo in his Golden form, even when using his Light Bullet technique
- Was capable of blocking hits from Super Maximum Light Speed mode Dyspo, though he was outmatched
- (Final Form) Barely survived his fight with Goku and explosion of Namek.
- Had his tail cut off
- Survived a kick to the face strong enough to hurl him into a mountain with visibly no damage
- Survived a Kaioken times 20 Kamehameha with only a scarred hand
- Survived the Large Spirit Bomb
- Took attacks from Super Saiyan Goku
- Took numerous bitchslaps
- Survived getting cut in half by his own attack (lol dumbass)
- Tanked Goku’s Angry Kamehameha
- Survived the destruction of Earth in both the Resurrection F movie and Dragon Ball Super
- Was still alive even after being cut in half and into pieces
- Took his Golden Death Ball point blank, the explosion powerful enough to completely destroy a formation of clouds
- Survived a Kamehameha even while weakened
- Took a beatdown from Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta
- Took Sidra’s hakai with nearly no damage
- Tanked Cabba’s Galick Cannon
- Got smashed through a wall of Kachi Katchin, the strongest material in the multiverse, and was unharmed
- Survived Toppo’s hakai, the resulting explosion powerful enough to change the scenery of the World of Void and destroy the arena
- Survived a beatdown from both Toppo and Jiren...twice
- Survived an hour long beatdown from Super Saiyan Broly
- (First Form) Effortlessly defeated Nail.
- (Final Form) Killed both Krillin and Vegeta.
- (First Form) Trained immensely in four months to the point of making short work of Super Saiyan Gohan
- (Golden Form) Could've easily killed Super Saiyan Blue Goku immediately, had he not dragged out the fight.
- (Final Form) Still had enough energy to destroy Earth, after his stamina waned in Resurrection 'F'.
- Defeated and eliminated Roselle, Murichim, Jimeze, Frost, Cabba, Anilaza (Paparoni, Bollarator, Koitsukai, & Panchia fused together) (w/Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, & Gohan), Dyspo & Gohan in the Tournament of Power.
- Unlike Cell and Buu, he cannot regenerate
- His Destructo Disk knockoffs can be used against him
- Cannot go to 100% Power unless his foe is someone like Goku, who would let him
- Frieza’s power, skill, and natural prowess as a combatant have truly made him one of the deadliest combatants in the universe, but it has also made him extremely arrogant in his abilities as well. Unless pushed to the brink, he delights in drawing out his enemies’ suffering more than killing them outright, giving them enough time to recover and plot out a counter-attack. This has led to some of his most humiliating defeats throughout Dragon Ball canon, including beatdowns and deaths at the hands of Goku, Future Trunks, and Broly.
- Also, he has had noted troubles in maintaining his more powerful forms over the course of longer fights, which can lead to tapping out of his ki pools quickly.
- Frieza's design is based on Akira Toriyama's nightmare of monsters
- Frieza is regarded as a popular and influential villain in the Dragon Ball franchise.