|Age||Likely at least around 200 million years|
|Birthday||Said to have lived during the Cretaceous period|
|Height||Showa: 196ft (60 meters)
Millennium: 131ft-295ft (40-90 meters)
|Weight||Showa: 30,000 metric tons
Millennium: 60,000 metric tons
Anguirus is the overall kaiju deuteragonist in the Godzilla series, first appearing in Godzilla Raids Again as Godzilla's first opponent.
Anguirus is a relative of the dinosaur Ankylosaurus that lived around the same time as Godzilla. Like Godzilla, Anguirus managed to survive into the modern day by lying dormant somewhere, presumably underwater, before being awakened and irradiated by nuclear bomb tests in the 1950s. Anguirus first fought Godzilla in 1955, being the first monster Godzilla faced, but unfortunately was defeated by the more powerful monster.
Anguirus has returned numerous times as Godzilla's most loyal ally, appearing to have a genuine friendship with the King of the Monsters. He is a very tenacious and fierce fighter. Despite constantly going up against enemies tougher than himself, Anguirus rarely backs down and always puts up a vicious fight.
Powers and Abilities
- Burrowing: Anguirus is capable of burrowing substantial distances.
- Spiked Carapace: Perhaps his most notable and recognizable feature, Anguirus has numerous, sharp spikes all over his shell-like carapace. This carapace can protect Anguirus from enemy attacks and inflict damage if Anguirus slams his back into an opponent.
- Durability: Anguirus' spiky carapace and armored hide grant him impressive resistance to attacks from enemy monsters. He was able to withstand the attacks of Godzilla, King Ghidorah, Gigan and Fake Godzilla, as well as being swallowed by a fissure. Anguirus' durability is also highlighted in the comic Godzilla: Rulers of Earth, where after being beaten nearly to death by a Cryog Mechagodzilla, he quickly recovers and immediately assists Godzilla in battle against Mecha-King Ghidorah and an army of Mechagodzillas.
- Rotating disc: In the Kodansha manga series Godzilla, King of the Monsters, Anguirus can retract into his shell and quickly zip around in the air while rotating at extremely high speed, condensing his body into the shape of an ultra-sharp disc that can cut Godzilla.
- Tail: Anguirus' tail is tipped with either a sharp curved spike or a fan-shaped spike club. While he never seems to use it in battle onscreen, Anguirus does attack with his tail spike in most video games featuring him. In the Kodansha Godzilla, King of the Monsters manga, Anguirus' tail is prehensile, and he is able to constrict it around Godzilla's throat.
- Roll Attack: In many Godzilla video games and in the film Godzilla: Final Wars, Anguirus was shown to be able to retreat inside of his carapace and curl into a ball, allowing him faster travel.
- Sonic Roar: In the Atari/Pipeworks Godzilla video games, Anguirus has a ranged attack in the form of a sonic roar capable of damaging monsters, buildings, rocks, and military weaponry. The sonic roar is unable to engage in beam locks with other monsters' energy weapons, but can knock an opponent down if used at close range.
- Rage Attacks: In the Atari/Pipeworks trilogy of Godzilla video games, Anguirus displays two different Rage Attacks.
- Energy Spikes: The first, as seen in Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee, shows Anguirus jumping into the air, curling up into a ball, and firing off red Energy Spikes, while spinning in midair.
- Thunderball: The second Rage Attack, from Godzilla: Save the Earth, is called Thunderball and appears to be a red energy-charged version of his rolling attack.
- Incandescent Light: During the planning stages of Godzilla Raids Again, Anguirus was to be able to fire an Incandescent Light from his mouth, just like Godzilla. In the tie-in manga Rampage Godzilla and the official novelization for the film, Anguirus briefly uses this attack.
- Poison: In several publications, Anguirus was described to be able to create a poisonous liquid within his body and emit from his back spikes and claws to stun targets.
- Swimming: Anguirus is an extremely adept swimmer and is shown being able to swim at speeds comparable to Godzilla. He was able to swim great distances in a short period of time without any signs of fatigue.
- Intelligence: Anguirus has shown to possess heightened intelligence, able to coordinate attacks with his allies, communicate with Godzilla and suspect that Fake Godzilla was an imposter.
- Agility: Anguirus is quite agile, charging at enemies with surprising speed and having the ability to make surprise attacks on unsuspecting foes.
- Staggered Final Wars Godzilla, who is considered by many to be the most powerful Godzilla incarnation.
- Can easily rip through Mechagodzilla drones.
- Easily tore through a Anti-Kaiju border wall.
- Destroyed the Karyu with a tackle.
- Pierced King Ghidorah's hide and drew blood.
- Can trade blows with Godzilla.
- Can pick up and throw buildings.
- Shattered a partially frozen Destoroyah.
- Can keep up with Godzilla both on land and in the water.
- Smacked away a rock kicked at him by Gigan.
- Easily reacted to and swatted some jets out of the sky.
- Caught King Ghidorah in mid flight.
- Proved to be to fast for the Karyu's weapons.
- Dodged Mechagodzilla's eye beams.
- Is fine with being used as a club.
- Tanked hits from Godzilla.
- Tanked Destoroyah's Micro-Oxygen beam.
- Tanked a chock slamming from Destoroyah.
- Tanked Mechagodzilla's eye beams.
- Unfazed from a Mechagodzilla pimpslap.
- Kept fighting Mechagodzilla even after he had his jaw broken.
- Amazed Kaiju experts when he was still alive after gotten blasted to a pulp.
- Muscled through Gigan's buzzsaw.
- Was completely unfazed after King Ghidorah dropped him from a high altitude.
- Survived being stomped into the ground by King Ghidorah.
- Shrugged off a blast from Godzilla's Atomic Breath at point blank range.
- Was the first monster that Godzilla ever fought.
- He lost, of course, but still.
- Fought with other monsters against King Ghidorah.
- Defeated Gigan and King Ghidorah alongside Godzilla.
- Survived a year trapped underground.
- Forced Mechagodzilla out of its Godzilla disguise.
- Fought and beat Gigan with Rodan.
- Was one of five monsters to survive Godzilla: Final Wars.
- Fought and beat Destoroyah.
- Defeated a gang of Mechagodzillas and Mecha-King Ghidorah with Godzilla after he was near death.
- Easily one of Godzilla's most trusted allies.
- Fought Varan and Baragon alongside Godzilla.
- Battled "Gigantis", a "mysterious" fire monster.
- "Gigantis" is not a renamed Godzilla.
- Fought Manda.
- Susceptible to mind control.
- Has been defeated by Godzilla on several occasions.
- Killed by Hedorah alongside Rodan.
- Lack of special abilities means he tends to struggle against some opponents.
- Mostly wins through help from allies.
- His skin can be easily sliced by opponents like Gigan.
- Tends to go-head on into battle without thinking.
- Anguirus was the second kaiju in the Godzilla series, and Godzilla's first-ever enemy.
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters director Michael Dougherty stated that, "the skeleton of a creature that might or might not be Anguirus is briefly visible in one shot, just outside Godzilla’s underwater lair." Anguirus is also featured in concept art of the film's final scene, published in The Art of Godzilla: King of the Monsters, as are other established kaiju such as Gigan and Gamera. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Dougherty said, "We had thought about using some additional Toho creatures to give them some cameos but every Toho creature comes with a price tag. It was a choice to either shell out more money simply for the rights for these creatures to show up on screen for a few seconds, or embrace the opportunity and the challenge to create new creatures."